Tuesday, November 2, 2010



Jesse Thompson McGonagle
1888-1970

This is the history of Jesse Thompson McGonagle written by his daughter Marie Mae McGonagle Grant. Jesse Thompson McGonagle told this first part to Marie and it is written in first person just as he told it.
I was born July 18, 1888 in the house my family lived in. When I was 5 I went to the country school on the end of the place. Later I went to Deersville School. When I was nine we moved about two miles away, when I was twelve Pap bought the place and we moved back. When I was twelve I started doing all of the farming and only went to school in the winter because of farming in the spring and fall.
Horses

Pap gave me old Maude, but I couldn't sell her. I pensioned her when she was 33; Pap shot her when she was 40. When I was seventeen I started dickering in horses. Pap sold one of Maude's colts, Bell, best all around horse I ever saw, to the army when she was twenty eight; she looked ten. In 1908, 1909, 1910 I worked for East Ohio Gas Co. putting in big gas lines 18, 20, 22 inch.
Pennsylvania trip with one horse buggy

In 1911 I went to Pennsylvania and did farm work. On July 19, 1911 I started from Saxonburg, Pa. to drive to Deersville, Ohio or "home". It was 150 miles, made 90 miles the first day. That night it rained and the next day made 60 miles with muddy roads. The roads for most part weren't paved or hard surface. I was driving one horse to a top buggy. A boy from where I was working was with me on the trip. I remember we got home before sundown and the little horse was looking around for more things to see. A few weeks later the horse got his back broken. He was one of the best horses I ever owned. I was going to start to train him a little later for a race horse.

A neighbor and I bid on and got a contract to put in a piece of pike. That was putting in a rock road covering, twelve feet wide, one foot thick; 8 inches, 6 inches and less than 4 inches broken fine. All this was done by hand, rock hauled with a wagon and broken up with a sledge. We hired one guy to help break stone
Cozad
After this was done I headed for (Cozad) Nebraska. That fall I husked corn in Nebraska and worked in a flour mill. I went to parties. My friend Jim Meldrum was living in Nebraska and I looked him up and stayed with him.
Oklahoma
Around January 1, 1912 I went to Oklahoma and fed cattle on a ranch there and worked until first cutting of alfalfa. (I worked for Great Uncle Bill McGonagle.)
Then I went to Kinsley, Kansas for the wheat harvest and for thrashing. I stayed there till after the wheat was seeded then bought a motor cycle and rode it to Nebraska to husk corn again. Then in 1913 I shipped the motor cycle to Ohio and went to Ohio. I worked in the timber most of the time that year then I went back to Nebraska about Dec. 15 of that year. Ada and I were married Dec. 24, 1912.
The end of what Jesse told Marie
Wedding
Dad and Mom were married on Mom's twentieth birthday at Mom's home in the same room where she was born. They were married at five thirty in the afternoon. Mom's family was there but none of Dad's family was able to be there; Ohio and Nebraska are just too far apart.
They had a family dinner after the wedding at their home. Those attending were Carrie Birney, Blanche and Joe McKelvey and their children: Hazel 13, Ray 10, Ted 9, Wesley 6, Ethel 4 and Esther 2, Lizzie and Ed Wedge and their son Fred 9, Lida and Dick Johnson and their daughter Carolyn 17 months and of course the Bride and Groom. I do not know for sure but I think that Jim Meldrum was there, he was a good friend of Dad's and he lived with the Birneys in Ohio before they moved to Nebraska.

An interesting story that Mother told about the dinner is that there nearly wasn't a dinner. Everyone was ready to sit down; everything was on the table when Esther started pulling on the table cloth. Someone was quick and no harm was done.
Family
Jesse Thompson McGonagle's parents were Wilson Ellsworth McGonagle and Sarah Alice White McGonagle. Wilson Ellsworth was 26 years old when Jesse was born and Sarah Alice was 29 years old. Jesse, his parents and both of his brothers were all born in Harrison County, Ohio. Jesse had two brothers, Harry Lee and Melvin. Jesse was 2 years older than Harry was and nine years older than Melvin was.
JobsGrandpa was a farmer; Dad learned farming from him. I think that Dad liked farming. The part of Ohio where McGonagles lived is very hilly. Compared to Wyo. it is very rainy there, they do not irrigate, there is plenty of rain. Trees, shrubs and grass grow very lush. Dad tells of having a hard time grubbing sumac out. He didn't want Mom to plant it because it would spread too much. Mom planted it in Wyo. But it didn't spread at all there.
Education
Dad thought that an education was very important and that everyone should take advantage of every opportunity to learn. I remember seeing a report card of Dad’s; his grades were mostly 100's and 99's. He was really quick at math. He had the equivalent of a University education. Dad had a teacher’s certificate, he tried teaching in a country school but the older boys only wanted to play pranks they didn't want to learn. Dad had no patience with them, he wanted to bang their heads together and make them learn. He realized he didn't have the patience to be a teacher. I believe that he taught for two weeks. When we knew Dad he was very patient.
Religion
When I knew my Dad he was very religious. He must have received his religious training at home when he was young. He called his father Pap and his mother Ma. I understand that when they went to church, Pap and Jesse went to one church and Ma and Melvin went to another church. Harry went first to one church and then to the other church. I think that they walked to church. One church was at one corner of the farm and the other church was at the opposite corner of the farm. Dad said that when he was a boy he didn't wear shoes in the summer time, he saved them to wear on Sunday.
Poor Health
Dad's diet seemed to consist of meat, bread and coffee. I don't think that he ate vegetables and fruit very much. They called the meat drippings "sop" and used them as gravy.
Dad had asthma really bad. He could not lie down and sleep. He slept sitting in a chair. The Dr. said his asthma was so bad that he wouldn't live very long. I think the Dr. said about six months if he stayed in Ohio. The Dr. told Dad to move from Ohio. The Dr. prescribed brandy as a medicine for Dad so that he could breathe.
One day Dad realized he was working all day, using too much brandy to keep going, he was going to dances at night and getting into lots of fights. He decided he couldn't keep on this way.
Travels
He went to Nebraska in 1911 and husked corn and worked in a flour mill. Around Jan 1, 1912 he went to Oklahoma and fed cattle on his Uncle Bill's ranch, he worked there until the first cutting of alfalfa. He then went to Kinsley, Kansas for wheat harvest and thrashing. He stayed in Kansas until after the wheat was seeded. Then he went to Nebraska to husk corn again. In 1911 when Dad left Ohio he went to Nebraska and visited his friend Jim Melbourne. John and Carrie Birney practically raised Jim Melbourne. When Birneys moved from Ohio Jim was married and they stayed in Ohio. When Jim's wife died he moved to Nebraska and stayed with Birneys for awhile. By 1911 he was living in a place of his own. It was through Jim Melbourne that Dad met Grandma and Mom.
CourtshipWhen Dad and Mom were dating they went to parties, buggy rides and at least once a motor cycle ride. Dad took Mom for a ride on the back of his motor cycle. The road became very, very rough and Mom slid off the back. Dad went several miles before he missed her. He was really embarrassed over this and was really teased. Mom thought it was funny.
Dad went back to Ohio in 1913 to tie up all loose ends. He wanted to break the news of his forthcoming marriage in person. His family could not accept the fact that he could not live in Ohio because of his asthma. They would have liked him to marry an Ohio girl and live in Ohio. Mom took this fact personal as if they didn't like her. Parents just like to have their children near them. Dad went back to Ohio twice before his Dad died.
****************
Jesse Thompson McGonagle
Written to Wilson Mac Grant, Tuesday 7/19/66
Fifty five years ago today I started from Saxonburg, Pa. to drive to Deersville Ohio or "home". It was 150 miles, made 90 the first day. That night it rained and the next day made 60 miles with muddy roads. The roads for most part weren't paved or hard surface. I was driving one horse to a top buggy. A boy where I was working was with me on the trip. I remember we got home before sundown and the little horse was looking around for more things to see. A few weeks later the horse got his back broke. He was on of the best horses I ever owned. I was going to start to train him and a little later for a race horse.
So a neighbor and I bid on and got a contract to put in a piece of pike. That was putting in a rock road covering 12 feet wide and 1 foot thick, 8 inches, 6 inches and less than the top 4 inches was broke bine. All this was done by hand. We hauled the rock with a wagon and broke it up with a sledge. We hired one guy to help break stone.
After this job was done I headed for Nebraska. This is a short part of my time that I don't suppose you ever heard of. That fall I husked corn in Nebr. Around January 1 or 1912 I went to Oklahoma and fed cattle on a ranch there that winter and worked there until first harvest and thrashing. Stayed there till after the wheat was seeded then back to Nebraska to husk corn again. Then in 1913 I went back to Ohio. Worked in the Timber most of the time that year then back to Nebr. about Dec. 15 of that year and we were married December 24 of that year.
********************

A song written by Jesse McGonagleMY WYOMING HOMEI've seen all the states in the nation,
Sailed over the world's seven seas,
Now in the evening
I long for the Wyoming breeze.
In the springtime of youth I was a rover
In the summer established my home
Now in the fall I'm contented
To remain in my Wyoming home.

When the children have all left the root tree
And started life’s journey alone
In the winter I know we'll be content
Wife and I in our Wyoming home
Chorus
Oh, my Wyoming home in the mountains
There's the odor of sage I adore.
The antelope play on the hillside
The deer scamper close by the door.
********************

Jesse McGonagle, Early Day Resident, Buried Saturday
Funeral services were conducted Saturday from the First Methodist Church for Jesse Thompson McGonagle, 81, who died May 13 of an apparent heart attack.
Mr. McGonagle was born July 19, 1888, in Deersville, Ohio, the son of Wilson and Sarah McGonagle. He was married to Ada Birney Dec. 24, 1913 at Cozad, Nebr. The couple came to the Powell area in 1916 and engaged in farming.
The irrigation district employed Mr. McGonagle before his retirement.
Survivors include the widow of Powell; two daughters and sons-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Wilson Grant of Big Piney and Mr. and Mrs. Jay Wollam of Heart Mountain; two brothers, Harry and Melvin, both of Tippecanoe, Ohio; 13 grandchildren and 16 great-grandchildren.
The deceased was a member of the Methodist Church and a former board president. He was a Past Noble Grand of the IOOF and a former Farm Bureau president.
He portrayed Major John Wesley Powell during Powell's 50th anniversary celebration, and for several years was the oldest participant in the Park County Parade.
The Rev. Evan Brian of First Methodist Church and the Rev. Aram Phillbosian, of First Baptist Church officiated at the services, with burial in Crown Hill Cemetery under the Direction of Easton's Funeral Home.
Pallbearers were Chet Hunnicutt, Ernest Good, Clyde Reynolds, Clarence Reid, Ted Borcher, and Frank Pyle.
****************
Notes on the life of Jesse McGonagle
• Farmer,
• Dairyman,
• Ditch rider,
• Teacher-6 weeks,
• Boxer,
• Barber,
• Raised Horses,
• Played Harmonica,
• Sawed logs,
• at 12 years old was a farmer,
• loved horse raising,
• He followed the harvest,
• went to Oklahoma to Uncle Bill McGonagle's,
• farmed Nebraska 2 years,
• farmed Wyoming until 1929, rent,
• move-Ditch-Mom 13 years old,
• Rent Dairy in 1936,
• Farmed Riverside farm,
• worked Sugar Factory in Lovell,
• 2 winters in Utah at Navy Depot, retired Farming - rode ditch –
• rented his farm,
• vacationed in Arizona,
• Rode Ditch until 81 years old,
• honest, easy going, friendly,
• put things off,
• liked to sing & whistle,
• Sang at Sylvia's wedding, Helen accompanied at wedding on organ,
• loved horses
• had horse, road Powell Parade as Grand Marshall for many years,
• member of rifle club,
• member of Farm Bureau,
• active church leader,
• Deputy-sheriff—Cody—Caroline Lockhart
• Bow legged.
• Loved and admired by grandchildren

No comments:

Post a Comment